10 October 2010

John Lennon's Birthday and the Stargate Marathon Continues

Yesterday was John Lennon's birthday and I regret that he was not here to share it with us.  I've read and heard a lot of good and bad things about John from a lot of different voices but in the end I believe that you know a man's heart through his poetry or words and John has left us a brilliant, shining little treasure trove of musical gems to go through, allowing us to go through them one at a time and maybe see a little bit into the soul of Mr. Lennon.  As Hamlet once said, "He was a man, take him for all in all, I shall not look upon his like again."

Which is where the Stargate Marathon comes in.
Being a Trekkie, I never had much use for Stargate.  It was a poor man's ST:TNG whittled down to 4.  Of course it doesn't help that I never followed the story line and what episodes I saw were mediocre to lame or that they jumped the shark in season 6 by bringing poor Corin Nemec on board.  Ugh!  

At least they didn't kill Jonas Quinn in some horrible fashion as I expected them to do and, to be honest, secretly wanted.  In fact he's in an episode from season 7 that I just watched.  Hooray!  I think.  But I suppose the  creators of the show or the folks at the network who may have said, "Screw you Shanks, we can make the show without you!  Hahahhahha!" must have known they fucked up bad and just couldn't bring themselves to crush Nemec.  It wasn't his fault after all.  He was a young actor who thought he'd caught his big break.  How crushing to know in the end the fans couldn't stand you!

I began the marathon after I got Netflix and discovered that I could watch Stargate from beginning to end and, being agoraphobic, I had the time on my hands to do it.  It was a good show until season 4 when it became a great show.  I thought season 5 was great too but the endings gave me fits as they seemed so abrupt and inorganic to the story.  >Shrug<  What do I know?  Then they jumped the shark.  So season 7 (out of 10) is going along alright and I hope that they can recapture the preseason 6 magic.  We'll see.  I can only hope so because I really do like the show now and want it to end well.  If it doesn't though, Netflix recently added seasons 3 & 4 of Battlestar Galactica that I haven't seen yet.  I'm already tingly thinking about it.  It is a far superior show to Stargate (especially that BSG clone SG:U) and some Trek alike.  I'm building up my anticipation to watch those but I want to be done with the Gate first.

The great way always teaches us humans through natural examples.  This too is one.  The loss of Corin Nemec will never feel the same as the loss we feel for John Lennon.  Yet they are both "mere men".  Merman pop!  Merman

The value we place on one persons life over another is a great deception we humans have created for ourselves.  In the end one dies as any other; even the great are humbled by it.  Every individual life should be seen as sacred and holy, a fantastical, spontaneous expression of the great way as we wide this wave of continuous creation and treated as such.  Yet we kill people we don't know in Afghanistan everyday, women and children even, while praising the peace and love of Lennon and remembering his clarion call to wake up today and fix everything.  A sad conundrum we apes have placed upon ourselves.  As a follower of the great way, "Imagine" is like an anthem to me, a reality we could collectively cause to happen today if we really wanted to bad enough.  Unfortunately I suspect there will be more killing in our names.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or comments then tell me!