28 October 2010

This election cycle is giving me a headache

It’s late and my head hurts.  My headaches are nothing new; I get them fairly frequently and have ever since I can remember.  Too much reading and clogging my brain with information.  It reminds me of a Monty Python sketch where a git enters a doctors office complaining that his brain hurts.  If you don’t know what I mean, shame on you!  You need to watch more Python!

Today’s reading took me all over the place, mainly in the political spectrum.  I hate politics, I really do.  You have to be a special sort of unethical slug to want to be a politician and the only way to understand a politician is to be in their mind set.  That’s a tough thing to do, especially when you try as I do not to sully your spirit or chi with such vile notions.  Yet, I trudge on, day after day, reading about it because as a citizen of this country, I believe Iam obliged to keep informed about the activities of my government, both state and federal.  It is my duty as a patriotic American.

Unfortunately, that’s an antiquated idea for millions of my countrymen.  I get it though.  Real life is far more important than political life.  Kids need fed and taken to school, work needs doing so you have cash to keep a roof over your head.  There are a million and one things so much more important than the wranglings that happen in Washington.

But our government and the politicians have come off the track, completely.  Politicians no longer bother to hide their shame; they are proud of it.  They take bribes from lobbyists, rich folk and corporations and know We The People won’t do shit about it because, as I have said, we have more important worries.  As a result there is no member of either political party who bothers to stand up for us anymore.  If there was, universal health care would have passed this year instead of that godawful mess they ended up passing.  You might remember that the health industry laid out all kinds of money to both Dumbacrats and Republikkkans to not pass a single payer program or a public option, money which these soulless fuckers were all too happy to pocket. Fuck the people!  We’re rich!!

And that’s been the mantra of Washington since Reagan: Fuck the people. 

We have been cut loose so that the politicians can do all they can to protect their wealthy benefactors.  Of course rich folk don’t really need any protection because their massive wealth pretty much lets them get away with murder, but to hear the Dumbacrats or the Republikkkans tell it, these poor rich folk just need to pay back less and less to the society that made them rich to begin with.  Nobody makes millions without the blood and sweat of the common man doing the dirty work.  Yet all rich folk want to do is take and take and take from us.

The only time politicians bother with us “peasants” (as Chuck Krauthammer describes us) is —haha!— like now when there is an election going on.  Oh yeah, it’s all about us common folk then!  Then you can see all the politicians dressed in their finest monkey suits spouting the same tired rhetoric: Oh! this side is fucking you all over! or That side is stealing your liberties and cash! when the truth is, both parties are right when they say it.  They expect us to ignore that they are both equally culpable in screwing us over in the first damn place!  What are poor plebeians like ourselves to do?  We are literally damned if we do and damned if we don’t. 

Which is why I have a goddamn headache now. 

This election cycle has become all about choosing between the lesser of two evils.  Do I vote for the idiots of the Dumbacratic party, a party that could have done anything it liked with its majority numbers but instead decided to act like greedy Republikkkans, selling out their constituents to the highest bidder and wasting their opportunity to forge what could have been an important epoch in modern American history?  Or do I stay home and let the rabid, racist, radical, raving, violent, fundamentalist Christians of the Republikkkan party have their day in the sun so that they can destroy what little bit is left of our freedoms, civil liberties and privacy as they happily put the ax to Social Security, Medicare, unemployment benefits, job stimulus programs and social services so their rich benefactors don’t have to pay their fair share in taxes?

Ugh!

Is that really even a choice?  I feel like like a modern day Odysseus navigating between the scylla and the charybdis!

Of course once this election is over, we commoners will be all but forgotten again unless we are fetuses or win the lottery and strike it rich.  This is not the America I want for my grandson, my children or myself.  This is a nightmare landscape where greed has trumped goodness and our Founding Father’s sacrifice has been rendered pointless as a new class of royalty asserts its lordship over the rest of us.  The Congress is no longer a house of commons but a house of lords.  Our presidents are no longer mediators or stewards of the nation but all powerful kings imposing their will over us at home and abroad.  And We The People are lost, rendered modern day serfs.  If we do not yield or obey, they will have us arrested.  If we protest or demand rights they will put us on a terrorist list.  It’s how I imagine it would be like living under the Soviets or the Nazis.

All I know is it sure ain’t freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or comments then tell me!